[Nagiosplug-devel] Plugins help for nagios frontends

Patrick Proy nagios at proy.org
Thu Mar 17 09:03:01 CET 2005

Hi,

There are quite a lot of nagios frontends making Nagios really easy to
configure for end-users (like creating a service or a host), but the plugins
have a lot of different arguments, so creating a front end is quite
impossible.

I think it would be a good idea if each plugin could be run with a
"--frontend" option giving something like :

<argument(short)>;<argument(long)>;<value
type>;<nagios-fill-macro>;<description>[;<unit>;<min_value>;<max_value>]

Ex :
H;Host;String;$HOSTNAME$;"Hostname or IP address"
w;warning;;"Warning value in % of disk usage";"%";0;100

Then the guy coding the frontends would be able to do something really cool
with commands definition.
AND, it wouldn't be a huge work (I would have to update my 7 plugins...).

Patrick Proy
Nagios AT proy.org