[Nagiosplug-devel] additional function for check_disk [Virus checked]

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue May 17 10:55:09 CEST 2005

Matthias.Eble at kaufland.de wrote:
> Hi list,
>
>  at the moment, check_disk returns a state != STATE_OK if any of the
> monitored filesystems has less than -w or -c freespace.
>
> In our case, this doesn't meet our needs, since our Oracle databases use
> more than just one filesystem to store their data.
> So if there are n data-volumes available, it doesn't matter if one or n-1
> volumes get filled 100% as long as one volume remains beyond
> the warning level.
>
> I've got three approaches for solve this problem.
>
> First:
> Introduce an option like -g (--group) followed by a comma_seperated_list
> of partitions/lvols/mountpoints which are to group.

Probably the cleanest solution, or possibly to add check_disk_group as
its own command.

> Second:
> Use a own nrpe command for every group of filesystems and introduce a flag
> like -g (in addition to multiple -p options) to tell check_disk to return
> warn/error if all
> filesystems monitored by this command get full
>
> Third:
> Build an ugly shellscript which executes check_disk for every
> datafilesystem and return != 0 if all of these checks return !=0.

Shell is good for prototyping, but the functionality would be equivalent
to that of check_cluster (or check_cluster2, I can't remember).

> A further parameter could be sth like minimum_filesystems_ok to decide if
> the state is ok if 1,2,3,... filesystems of a group have more than -w/-c
> free space.
>

> What do you think about it?

Hack away. A clean patch is almost certain to be included upstream.

> Is the check_disk plugin is the right place to reproduce a functionality
> like this.
>
> Does anybody know applications like Oracle which use more than one
> filesystems for the same purpose?

Samba and various ftp servers in different setups. I'm sure there are
more scenarios where this can be interesting.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer