[Nagiosplug-devel] Mailman plugin - some dev questions

Ivan Fetch ifetch at du.edu
Wed Nov 2 12:57:01 CET 2005

Hello,

    I've begun work on a Nagios (V1) plugin for mailman and have a couple of
things I'd like to get some feedback about.  I'm looking at the developer
guidelines (http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html) and
also using some of the existing plugins (1.4.2) to see how others have
implemented things thus far.

    The plugin checks the amount of items in any of nine Mailman queues against
warning and critical thresholds.  I can (1) try to squeeze output into an
eighty character limit (in the worst case of all queues exceeding a threshold
the output would have to be a bit cryptic?), or (2) I can expect the plugin to
be called nine separate times, potentially providing nine separate
notifications given the same scenario.  I'm leaning towards allowing the plugin
to be called with thresholds for one to nine queues, allowing users to pick
their method, but I'm curious- what are others' experiences with this type of
situation?

    I've seen mention of plugins outputting statistics to be stored in RRD, is
this something plugins are to do completely on their own, or is there a
standard for outputting data in a particular format to a particular place,
which Nagios then processes?

    Thanks to everyone for their feedback, and for the great work on Nagios!

- Ivan Fetch.