[Nagiosplug-devel] Working on testcases

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Fri Nov 4 05:44:38 CET 2005

On 4 Nov 2005, at 11:18, sean finney wrote:

> hi ton,
>
> you made a good point about dns checks not always being targeted for
> every hostname (which would be a major pita to maintain).  i guess i'm
> warming up to your suggestion, but i still don't feel a strong
> conviction either way.   one way or the other, though, consistency
> would be nice.
>
> 	sean

Thanks for your opinions, Sean. I'm proposing this:

   - hostname lookups will fail with CRITICAL. I'll make sure the
tests reflect and we use a consistent exit function
   - amend dev guidelines so that UNKNOWN says: "Invalid command line
arguments. If the plugin is unable to check status for whatever
reason (system call failure, hostname lookup failure, etc), it should
return CRITICAL".

This narrows down the definition of UNKNOWN to basically "bad command
line options". This kinda makes sense if we deprecate a command line
option in a new release - we raise an UNKNOWN error, so sys admins
will know that they need to investigate a particular plugin.

If there are no objections by Monday, I'll crack on with this.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725