[Nagiosplug-devel] Working on testcases

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Fri Nov 4 14:22:28 CET 2005

On 4 Nov 2005, at 18:50, John P. Rouillard wrote:

> Ton Voon writes:
>
>> On 4 Nov 2005, at 17:58, John P. Rouillard wrote:
>>
>>> How about a flag to set the exit status in case of a failed lookup?
>>
>> What do you mean?
>
> --dns-failure-status = CRITICAL
> --dns-faulre-status = UNKNOWN
>
> Then if a dns failure occurs, the user can set what they want the
> exit status of the command to be.

I see what you mean now. However, using this technique would mean
that every plugin using hostname lookups would have to support this
flag and I'm not sure that is a good idea.

And then what if you get a different kind of failure? A malloc call
failure? A system call with unexpected results? A different flag for
each?

I'm of the Keep It Simple philosophy so I think we need to decide
whether "unexpected failures" should be UNKNOWN or CRITICAL.
Unfortunately, I think your suggestion will take us to some
complicated exceptions handling.

Anyway, what's the default setting? :)

Ton

http://www.altinity.com