[Nagiosplug-devel] Working on testcases

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Nov 5 06:37:09 CET 2005

Garrett Honeycutt wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 22:20 +0000, Ton Voon wrote:

>>>--dns-failure-status = CRITICAL
>>>--dns-faulre-status = UNKNOWN
>>>
>>>Then if a dns failure occurs, the user can set what they want the
>>>exit status of the command to be.
>>
>>I see what you mean now. However, using this technique would mean
>>that every plugin using hostname lookups would have to support this
>>flag and I'm not sure that is a good idea.
>>
>>And then what if you get a different kind of failure? A malloc call
>>failure? A system call with unexpected results? A different flag for
>>each?
>

> It could be a compile time option handled by the configure script. This
> gives those who want to change it the ability.

No, no, no, no, no. Compiled binaries are supposed to behave identically
on all systems they come across. So what happens if Debian chooses the
non-default strategy? List-noise goes up, up, up.

>>I'm of the Keep It Simple philosophy so I think we need to decide
>>whether "unexpected failures" should be UNKNOWN or CRITICAL.
>>Unfortunately, I think your suggestion will take us to some
>>complicated exceptions handling.
>

> "my thought is that for most plugins (except the dns-related ones),
> UNKNOWN seems a proper state.  chances are there's something
> monitoring DNS that will issue a CRITICAL anyway.  however, i don't
> feel to comitted to this opinion and would be interested to hear
> the counter-argument." -sean
>
> I would rather get false positives than miss something because the
> status was UNKNOWN as opposed to CRTICAL.

I've lobbied before to get a "transport/network" error status in Nagios
so that UNKNOWN can be used for user-error only.

It could certainly be used for this case.

OTOH, if a dns lookup fails, the service *is* actually UNKNOWN, since
the plugin can't check it.