[Nagiosplug-devel] Working on testcases

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Wed Nov 9 00:39:30 CET 2005

On 7 Nov 2005, at 12:20, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> I'd just like to point out that this is in no way incompatible with
> the "transport error" service-status, since nagios by default sets
> all out-of-bounds return codes to UNKNOWN.

Andreas,

Just trying to make your suggestion clear: are you proposing
"transport error" as another status from the plugins, but one that
Nagios will (currently) support because it will map it onto UNKNOWN?

I'm against adding another state unless absolutely necessary. I don't
think there is sufficient difference between UNKNOWN and
TRANSPORT_ERROR.

And while I agree with the idea of "transport errors", I'm not sure
if we agree on the concept. In your previous email, you said "UNKNOWN
can be used for user-error only", but then you contradicted yourself
by saying when "a dns fails, the service *is* UNKNOWN".

I wonder if the word "UNKNOWN" is causing problems. Maybe "OTHER"
makes more sense meaning "any other failure to stop analysis of the
service".

Any other opinions? This feels like it could be a big change that
could impact how Nagios works so I want to make sure this is the
right route to go.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243