[Nagiosplug-devel] check_cluster and check_cluster2 into main distribution

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Thu Oct 13 03:15:11 CEST 2005

Hi!

Wanted to hear some opinions on this. I've only recently come across
check_cluster and check_cluster2 (written by Ethan) and I think these
should be in the main distribution.

( A quick recap: check_cluster works by specifying a list of host/
service pairs and it returns a status based on the status of those -
it does this by querying the status log file. check_cluster2 has an
argument list of the actual status codes because it uses Nagios 2's
clever macros to work out status. )

But check_cluster only makes sense for Nagios 1 installs, so we
probably should be configuring things differently. This is not
unprecedented since check_nagios tries to read Nagios' status file,
so there are dependencies on the version of Nagios here too. I think
there is an outstanding bug here which I'll fix as part of this work.

Thus I propose making the following changes:

- at configure time, have option to compile --with-nagios-version=1
or 2, default 1 (we can change default when Nagios 2.0 is released)
- for nagios-1, set NAGIOS_VERSION=1, add check_cluster to list of
plugins
- for nagios-2, set NAGIOS_VERSION=2
- always compile check_nagios (with ifdefs around Nagios version
specific parts) and check_cluster2

Also, maybe a rename of check_cluster2 to, say, check_cluster_states?

Does this make sense? Any other ways of doing this?

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725