[Nagiosplug-devel] nagios and local sockets patch

Alex Samorukov ml at os2.kiev.ua
Mon Oct 24 11:54:34 CEST 2005

sean finney wrote:

>hi alex,
>
>On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 02:50:39PM +0300, Alex Samorukov wrote:
>

>>I want to ask to check and commit patch for nagios plugins which allow
>>to check services on local sockets.
>>The patch is located on
>>http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1145413&group_id=29880&atid=397599
>>.
>>I use it on my freebsd box, and it work just fine. Some users wrote me
>>mail that they used this patch too. I hope to see it commited.
>>

>short synopsis: if the hostname starts with a '/', the net code
>defaults to opening a local socket instead of an inet socket.
>
>anyone else want to chimein on whether they feel that's reasonable? my
>thought is there should be a cmdline flag to imply that a "host" should
>be interpreted as a local socket instead, but don't feel too strongly
>about it.

I take this logic from the bsd telnet sources. Here is short text from
the telnet man:
===
host
Indicates the official name, an alias, or the Internet address of a
remote host.  If host starts with a `/', telnet establishes a connection
to the corresponding named socket.
===
I think that hostname cannot start with "/" characters and local socket
always can be referenced as absolute pathname. So i dont think that we
need different key for this. Anyway, if someone not agree with this i
can create a new patch.