[Nagiosplug-devel] looking for http/smtp server needing client certificates

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Fri Oct 28 05:19:39 CEST 2005

hey andreas,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 10:50:36AM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> >i'd like to finish up the ssl-related work by adding support for
> >handling client-certificate requests from the tcp/http/smtp plugins.
> >however, i don't have a server that requires this in the first place.
>
> dovecot supports this. http://www.dovecot.org.

in fact i've a fair amount of experience with dovecot and other
imap/smtp/http servers which could be configured to require an ssl
certificate.  however, my point was i've never done such, and i'd
probably save myself an hour or two if osmeone had a pre-existing
service against which i could test.  then again, i guess having
to learn something new isn't such a big deal either :)

> Attached is a script to generate certificates for webservers. You'll
> most likely have to tweak some of it a bit to make it sane for smtp
> usage, but it should give you a fairly good idea of how to do it.

i had some notes buried in a wiki at a former place of work with these
commands documented, i was hoping i wouldn't have to resort to looking
for them.  this makes it a bit easier, thanks.

	sean