[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Bugs-1291126 ] Alternate ps for Solaris

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 14 09:06:54 CEST 2005

Bugs item #1291126, was opened at 2005-09-14 10:04
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397597&aid=1291126&group_id=29880

not just the latest update.
Category: General plugin execution
Group: CVS

Initial Comment:
Per Sean, I am uploading the source for an alternate ps
utility for Solaris that will work with the existing
check_procs plugin.

This alternate ps gets around the 80-character limitation
inherent in the native ps for Solaris.

It has been extensively testing on our corporate Solaris
farm.

Notes:

1. I've installed this alternate ps (called pst3) in the
libexec directory, along with the other plugins.

2. It needs setuid-root permissions to run, but accepts
no arguments and reads no input streams and therefore
isn't subject to exploitations such as buffer overflow and
the like.  The only reason is needs the setuid-root
permission is so that it can open the running kernel
image, in READ-ONLY mode, in order to access the
process argument vectors.

3. It requires a patch to the configuration file which
substitutes this alternate utility instead of ps for Soalris
systems.

Bob