[Nagiosplug-devel] Root setuid plugins

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 21 12:14:11 CEST 2005

Ton Voon wrote:
> Just to let you know that I have created a plugins-root/ at the top
> level. The idea is that root setuid executables are compiled here.
>
> If make install is run as root, then the correct permissions should  be
> set.
>
> I think you have to run "cvs update -d" to pull in the new subdirectory.
>
> Something I've noticed is that the plugins don't appear to be  installed
> as nagios user and group anymore. Does anyone know what the  best way of
> fixing this is?

Don't. Installing them as 755 is perfectly sane. If the install is done
as root, the plugins-root (or plugins/suid, as we use for target -
exchange plugins for libexec in the official package) should have the
mode 4711 and be owned by root. The paranoid should set chattr +a on
that directory. The plugins-root makefile should barf on install if id
-u != 0.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer