[Nagiosplug-devel] Checking for unknown NIS servers?

Dan Wilson drw at adnc.com
Mon Feb 13 22:23:02 CET 2006

What about using it's mac address to quarantine it?

We've done something similar in the past for virus/worm infected
machines.  Basically we used tcpdump to capture find what we were
looking for and that output was processed by a perl script.  When a
computer was found it's IP address was written to a file. Every minute
that file would be read and a tool to spoof the mac address was put into
action.  Once running, it caught nearly all that offending machines in
the first 5-10 minutes... and continued to catch machines as they were
turned on.

An email alert would then be sent to the admin who could then take his
time quarantining and fixing the machines.

In the end we found more than 70 of our 300+ machines had been infected
with a worm...  The network was unusable until we tried the above.  In
fact when we setup it up and started it the techs though they had fixed
the problem when they patched and restarted a computer.... the network
just happened to be usable again after they finished.  Boy were they
dissapointed to find out that they still had to patch all the rest of
the computers ;-)