[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ping and check_icmp confusion

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Feb 22 09:37:02 CET 2006

gh wrote:
>>From what I can tell check_ping has been deprecated in favor of
> check_icmp. Is this the case or are there certain systems or conditions
> that make check_ping favorable or even necessary?

check_icmp had some problems on systems with 32-bit process id's in the
early days (causing it to mark the packets wrong and then not
recognizing them when they returned). It also used to calculate timings
slightly wrong. Both those problems are solved long since, however. Now
there are no real reasons to use check_ping instead of check_icmp.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se