[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ping and check_icmp confusion

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Feb 23 00:18:17 CET 2006

sean finney wrote:

> as andreas pointed out, it drops it's root privileges immediately
> as well, so it's not really cause for much concern anyway.  i'd
> also support your idea to chroot, but i'd suggest to make it
> non-default behaviour and configurable as a cmdline option.  that
> would prvent the bogus support-inducing error messages, but would
> give software packagers like myself (who know somewhere the plugin
> could chroot itself on a debian system) the ability to introduce
> this easily as part of a default installation.

I take it you mean ./configure-time option? Otherwise it means parsing
arguments as root. The '-j' flag could ofcourse be parsed separately and
in an ultra-paranoid fashion, but still.

> personally, i'd prefer to completely purge check_ping, and make
> it a symlink pointing to check_icmp.  perhaps this would require
> some extra code if the cmline options aren't compatible, but
> it would make our code base a whole lot cleaner.

I made an effort to make command-line options identical with both
check_ping and check_fping, so it should be no extra work at all. If
there is, let me know and I'll fix it up.

If you're going with the symlink idea, you might want to make the
check_host symlink as well. Not many seem to know about it (no doubt
I've documented it poorly).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se