[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ntp misunderstandings?

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Fri Jul 28 00:15:56 CEST 2006

hi gerhard,

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 07:39:00PM +0200, Gerhard Lausser wrote:
> Now this will result in two calls:

note that the version in CVS no longer uses calls to the ntp utilities
but does the on-the-wire communication natively.

> 2) ntpq -np ntp1.dom
> which will show me information on the synchronization of the clocks of
> timeserver ntp1.dom and its master lantime1.dom. I am actually not
> interested in this and i dont want to be alerted if lantime1.dom does no
> longer exist or has other difficulties.
> What i would call here is ntpq -np 127.0.0.1 and query the local xntpd which
> gives me further details about synchronization of my monitored host and it's
> master.

ntpq (and later, the code which implements this natively) is called to
calculate the jitter of the selected server.  i'm not an ntp expert, but
i too think that this isn't as helpful as the jitter of the local clock
when doing a check of this nature.  of course, it could be argued that
you may want to check the status of an ntp server without regard to the
local clock as well, but that's probably less common of a case.

i was tempted to switch this behaviour when i re-coded the plugin, but
didn't in favor of maintaining consistancy.  perhaps we could throw in
a new cmdline switch to have the jitter check against the local ntpd
instead of the remote one?

	sean