[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ntp misunderstandings?

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest Thomas at zango.com
Fri Jul 28 17:39:46 CEST 2006

I think a better way of solving this is to have a redudant setup with local
clocks.

Set up two of your servers as stratum 2 and add a local clock to them. Then
all other servers get their time from the stratum 2 servers.

If one server die, you'll still get time from the other. If your stratum 2
servers loose conectivity with their peers, they'll still be a valid time
source for the others servers since they'll get their time from the local
clock.

If you don't setup local clocks and loose conectivity with all external
sources your time servers will be useless. You can setup a local clock with
the following lines in ntp.conf:

server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

If you don't care about time sync between hosts you could also set-up local
clocks on individual servers. Fudge with a stratum at least two levels over
their peer's local clock (Stratum 12 for the example above)

Thomas