[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Patches-1499641 ] Specify source address with check_ping

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Jun 2 18:11:06 CEST 2006

You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397599&aid=1499641&group_id=29880

not just the latest update.
Category: Enhancement
Group: None

Initial Comment:
This is a patch I made for check_ping (nagiosplug
1.4.3) to allow to specify source address.

This is very usefull when you have a multi-homed Nagios
server and want to test different routes to the same
destination.

Ideally this patch needs some work in autoconf (which I
have no knowledge of) to check for the -I switch and
have some code included in IFDEF's. Since the -I switch
will only be used when needed, this shouldn't break
anything.

As you can see below this modified check_ping accepts
an additioal and optional -s switch:

# ./check_ping --help
check_ping (nagios-plugins 1.4.3) 1.50
Copyright (c) 1999 Ethan Galstad
<nagios at nagios.org>Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Nagios
Plugin Development Team
        <nagiosplug-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>

Use ping to check connection statistics for a remote host.

Usage: check_ping -H <host_address> -w <wrta>,<wpl>% -c
<crta>,<cpl>%
                     [-p packets] [-s source_address]
[-t timeout] [-L] [-4|-6]

 -h, --help
    Print detailed help screen
 -V, --version
    Print version information
 -4, --use-ipv4
    Use IPv4 connection
 -6, --use-ipv6
    Use IPv6 connection
-H, --hostname=HOST
   host to ping
-w, --warning=THRESHOLD
   warning threshold pair
-c, --critical=THRESHOLD
   critical threshold pair
-p, --packets=INTEGER
   number of ICMP ECHO packets to send (Default: 5)
-s, --source=IP
   source address
-L, --link
   show HTML in the plugin output (obsoleted by urlize)
 -t, --timeout=INTEGER
    Seconds before connection times out (default: 10)
average travel
time (ms) which triggers a WARNING or CRITICAL state,
and <pl> is the
percentage of packet loss to trigger an alarm state.

[...]