[Nagiosplug-devel] Packaging issues

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Wed Jun 7 17:09:48 CEST 2006

In message <4BCFB078-37E1-4A75-B8CE-D382860D5EB6 at altinity.com>,
Ton Voon writes:
>On 7 Jun 2006, at 14:02, John P. Rouillard wrote:
>
>> In message <6F0CA028-7F8C-49A5-A540-013AE32C90B4 at altinity.com>,
>> Ton Voon writes:
>>> I've also just noticed that if make install is run for a non-root
>>> user, the setuid plugins are still installed, but without setuid.
>>> I've amended plugins-root/Makefile.am so that the plugins will only
>>> install if make install is run as root. [...]
>>
>> Don't do this please. When building RPM's or other packages I can
>> build/"install" under my own account (RPM builds should not be done as
>> root) then use RPM mechanisms to make the programs suid root. I think
>> I actually undid the test in an earlier version so that suid programs
>> would always be installed.
>
>I tend to get "inspiration" from the GNU coreutils project (http://
>www.gnu.org/software/coreutils). From a "make install", their
>makefile will only install the su executable if the user is root.
>
>Could you use fakeroot?

I run redhat/centos/fedora and not debian and only saw 1 google hit of
fakeroot on centos/fedora/redhat like os's in the first three
pages. Also trying to get that installed on all the platforms I
support would be a pain.

>Otherwise, you can still run "make install &&
>make install-root". It will install the setuid plugins, fail to
>chown, but still return a successful return code.

As long as install-root does that then fine. The version I patched
refused to install anything (or maybe it just errored out) with "make
install-root" unless the user was running as root.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard