[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ntp plugin issues

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Tue Mar 14 01:34:02 CET 2006

hi bill,

check_ntp has been one of the thorns in my side for quite a while.  i
think that trying to parse the output of ntpq is an inherently broken
concept to begin with.  it seems every time we change one of the parsing
pcre's to accomodate for one problem, we break something else.

i really feel that we should ditch the current version of check_ntp
entirely, and that we should instead use something like Net::NTP, or
preferably borrow/adapt/write some c code of our own to perform the check.

the former option would be really, really easy to do from a quick look
at Net::NTP's documentation, though it would require installations
to have it installed as a dependency.

not knowing enough about the protocol i can't make any claims on how
difficult the latter option would be, though as i said it seems to be
the Right Way imho, and would not put any additional requirements on a
installation.  in fact, it would reduce them as the ntp cmdline utilities
would not need to be installed.  if this sounds like a reasonable option
to other folks, i'm willing to sit down with a couple rfc's (1305 and
2030, i think) and look at hacking something together.

	sean