[Nagiosplug-devel] replacing common system calls with macros/inlines?

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Tue Mar 21 14:55:07 CET 2006

a thought for consideration:

currently, there are a large number of places in plugin code
where we have stuff like

	foo=strdup(bar);
	if(foo==NULL) {
		printf("error message");
		exit(STATE_UNKNOWN);
	}

does it make any sense to introduce some macros to condense
code a bit?  for example:

	static inline char* STRDUP(const char *foo){
		char *bar;
		bar=strdup(foo);
		if(bar==NULL){
			printf("error message");
			exit(STATE_UNKNOWN);
		}
	}

and then everywhere in our plugin code we could replace the strdup()+error
detection calls with STRDUP(), and save ourselves some lines of code in
many places (and introduce missing/needed error checking in others).

likewise, a similar approach could be taken for malloc, fopen, and
probably others...

thoughts?
	sean