[Nagiosplug-devel] check_udp

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Thu Mar 23 05:00:05 CET 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:49:20AM +0000, Ton Voon wrote:
> Since udp is connectionless, a check_udp -H hostname -p port is
> useless - it will always return OK. Will need the send and receive to
> work in order to prove that data is being sent and responded to.
> However, it looks like the send and receive functions do not
> currently work. It seems that you cannot use the send function, so
> you have to use the sendto function. However, I'm having trouble
> setting up the hostname and socket and how it should interact with
> np_net_connect.

by send/recieve, to you mean the "send/expect", or the send/sendto/recv
functions?  for the former i'm not sure what can be done if there
isn't some data to send (send an arbitrary packet and see what
happens? bail with an error?).  for the latter, i don't think
they're at all necessary.  np_net_connect (or my_udp_connect,
or even process_udp_request) should make the need for these
functions moot, as you can use the standard read/write calls
on the file descriptor you get back.  or am i misunderstanding?

> Anyone willing to take a look at this? Please reply to list or
> offline if you are.

sure, though i won't have time until later tonight.  it shouldn't be
too hard to figure out what's going on (assuming the above can be
clarified) with a little netcat and possibly tcpdump assistance.

	sean