[Nagiosplug-devel] thoughts on regexp using plugins

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Thu Mar 23 12:41:03 CET 2006

hi guys,

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:39:17AM -0500, John P. Rouillard wrote:
> Sound's reasonable to include a regexp library, but given that so many
> plugins are in perl, would it make sense to use PCRE as the regexp
> library?

because perl is evil and must be punished.

> Also how many systems don't come with a regexp library these days, or
> are you referring to older legacy systems?

you know, i don't know off the top of my head... probably some older
solaris systems, maybe some of the more "hardcore" unices like
hpux or aix?

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 03:50:36PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> I think no. Most (all?) of the plugins using regexes are intended for
> use on the host where Nagios runs. It's not too onerous to demand that
> that system's up to date or simply state that some functionality will be
> missing if it isn't.

of course that's always an option too... but even this way,
we'd still have to have the code to look for the libraries,
plus disable plugins that required it, and use some ugly #ifdefs to
remove the features from the plugins that could live without it.

i'm hard pressed to see why this is a better option... compared to adding
two new files into CVS and defining an extra CFLAG or two if configure
doesn't find a valid regex library :)

	sean