[Nagiosplug-devel] check_udp

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Thu Mar 23 12:47:02 CET 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 03:37:36PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Sorry, no. There's no way of checking for open UDP ports without sending
> data and getting some sort of response.

this is correct.  like i said earlier, perhaps sending a null byte
or something might trigger a response, but i think it would be
better (cleaner and more appropriate) to just have check_udp
complain and die if it has nothing to send/receive.

for the error detection that we'd get from detecting stuff like:

> >>No, it will not. If there's no route to the target host connect()
> >>will return -1 and set errno to ENOROUTE, which I expect will be
> >>detected.

we could also assume would be given to us by other plugins such
as check_ping/check_icmp, so we shouldn't worry ourselves too much
about that.

	sean