[Nagiosplug-devel] check_dhcp / rogue dhcp server detection

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Wed May 10 14:07:03 CEST 2006

>> Has anyone given any thought to adding a flag to check_dhcp, so that
>> when IPs are returned, the specified servers are the ONLY servers that
>> can respond.  Currently, check_dhcp makes sure that each server in the
>> list responds, but what if there's an additional dhcp server that
>> responds?  This might be an effective way to actively monitor for rogue
>> dhcp servers on your network.
>
> that's a pretty cool idea.  i don't imagine it would be too hard to
> implement.  if you threw together a rough proof of concept i'd be
> happy to take a look if no one else gets to it first.
>
> i'll be in mexico at debconf next week, send me a ping after that
> if no one else has picked this up.

This is exactly the thing I proposed late last year, after a rogue
DHCP server was accidentally started on our LAN.  I bantered back
and forth with several members of the list (I remember Andreas
for sure), but it was beyond my meager (nay, pathetic!) programming
skills.

Benny

--
"God help us all if cats had thumbs."     -- Me, 2006