[Nagiosplug-devel] check_radius, -lradiusclient, and libtool wierdness

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Sat May 27 03:31:01 CEST 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 08:17:18PM +0100, Ton Voon wrote:
> I got the same problem on my Debian box. Not sure why libtool is
> changing -lradiusclient to the .so file.

i seems like it has something to do with the .la file found
in /usr/lib/libradiusclient.la.  looking more closely, i
see it has:

	# Is this an already installed library?
	installed=no

shouldn't that be "yes"?  a little heavy handed editing of the
file confirms it compiles when set to yes.

> I upgraded libtool to 1.5.22 and ran tools/setup && ./configure &&
> make and it worked, so I guess this is a bug in the older libtool
> (was on 1.5.6).

well i guess we have that, at least.  but this does mean that
users who only have older versions of libtool won't be able
to follow CVS, at least with radiusclient installed.

isn't there something we can do?  it would be nice if we could
somehow politely tell libtool "no really, i promise this library
is already installed"...

i'll ask on debian-devel and see if i can get any of the libtool
knowledgable folks to comment.

> I personally think that the GNU toolchain (autoconf, automake,
> gettext, libtool) is a major pain in the arse, but I think it is like
> a latrine: very messy and deeply horrible, but if you don't use it,
> you'll end up cleaning up other people's shit.

true, true...

	sean