[Nagiosplug-devel] [RFC] Plugins config file

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Wed Oct 18 17:20:46 CEST 2006

In message <20061018112125.GD15099 at openfusion.com.au>,
Gavin Carr writes:

>On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 09:43:52AM +0100, Ton Voon wrote:
>> On 18 Oct 2006, at 02:08, Gavin Carr wrote:
>> >I'm not strongly opposed to something like this if people feel it's
>> >significantly simpler. There are two main differences between this
>> >and what I proposed:
>
><snip>
>
>> I'm coming round to the idea of the config file - it has been well
>> argued here.
>>
>> I don't like the idea of having the "extra level of indirection" with
>> another set of "standard" parameters (Where are they defined? Why are
>> the different?). So, I think the ini file should just hold the
>> current options, but in a more secure/readable format.
>
>I'm fine with this suggestion. For some reason I'd forgotten about long
>option names, which should usually be fine for disambiguating options.
>
>> Plugins that support this new config file parsing of options take the
>> option (as Sean suggested) of
>>
>>   --extra-opts=[configfile][:stanzaname]
>
>Syntax quibble: how about 'configfile#section', like URL fragments?
>Colon is already used in host:/path/to/file forms, and in ranges.

Well, # has special meaning to the shell. And you may be trying to
pass this argument across systems using ssh or other mechanism which
makes getting the quotes really tricky. Hence # $ are bad
choices. However maybe '/path/to/file at stanzaname' works since it is
using the entry in the file AT stanzaname.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard