[Nagiosplug-devel] Testcase for is_hostname (was something else)

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Fri Oct 27 16:59:11 CEST 2006

On 27 Oct 2006, at 15:50, sean finney wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 15:01 +0100, Ton Voon wrote:
>
>> Andreas, I'm not sure what you would like to see. Is it:
>>   "nonfqdn-but-ends-in-dot." => 0
>>   "otherwise.something." => 1
>
> i'd say something ending in '.' should be considered a valid
> hostname no
> matter what (assume there are no other problems with it).  whether or
> not it *resolves* ought to be an orthogonal issue.

Sounds fair. I guess you may want to test the domain "com." or if you
implement an internal DNS with your own top level domain (we use
"altinity" as our top level).

OK, I'll change the test and alter the code to reflect.

> or is the test also testing resolvable domains?

No - it is purely a textual test. To save for a later time, but
there's an argument to not bother doing this type of check at all and
have an "unresolveable hostname" caught in exceptions later down in
any plugins.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243