[Nagiosplug-devel] Nagios::Plugin api

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Thu Sep 7 04:09:29 CEST 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:10:23AM -0800, Vonnahme, Nathan wrote:
> Good point about new users, John, although I hope they will read the POD
> for examples before googling.
>
> Shall we just leave it as
> 	$plugin->nagios_die(CRITICAL, "aiiiii") if $bad;
> 	$plugin->nagios_exit();  # OK
>
> ?

I'm thinking we just go with

  $plugin->nagios_exit( CRITICAL, "aiiii" ) if $bad;
  $plugin->nagios_exit( OK, "foobar" );

on the basis that:

- CORE::exit() takes a return value, so our nagios_exit is a pretty
  intuitive extension of that (where CORE::die() takes a message and
  no return value)

- the order of arguments ( code => message ) mirrors the order you
  get in the Status Information within nagios itself. Not that
  significant, but maybe helpful for newbies.

We can always add nagios_die as well later if people feel strongly
about it.

For backwards compatibility, we should also support these two:

  $plugin->nagios_exit( return_code => OK, message => $msg );
  $plugin->die( return_code => OK, message => $msg );

That sound reasonable? Barring objections, I'll probably take a look at
implementing this in the next few days.

I'm going to restart the thresholds api discussion in a separate thread
for clarity.

Cheers,
Gavin