[Nagiosplug-devel] How to run a shell script in nagios repeatedly

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Thu Apr 12 15:42:11 CEST 2007

It sounds like you need a tutorial on Nagios.  I recommend any of the
books on the market.

You understand that nagios will only help you here (over cron) if your
shell script returns variable return codes based on success?  Check the
Nagios plugin reference API.

You can set up a check for localhost that runs a custom shell scipt
command.  check_freshnes=1 and is_volatile=1 for sure.  normal check
interval as low as you want.

~BAS

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, VamseeDeep wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in using nagios.
> My problem is :
> I would like to execute a shell script program in nagios repeatedly with
> some time period.
> I don't want to keep this script(what ever i required for execute) in
> /etc/crontab file.I would like to run a script with nagios only.
>
> I am using Nagios 2.6, plugins are 1.4.0.
>
> Please help me to solve this problem,Give detailed information on how to
> overcome this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Deep.

l8*
 	-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
 	       http://www.spiritual-machines.org/

"...from back in the heady days when "helpdesk" meant nothing, "diskquota"
meant everything, and lives could be bought and sold for a couple of pages
of laser printout - and frequently were."