[Nagiosplug-devel] check_http responce code control

ravenmaster at users.sourceforge.net ravenmaster at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 14 21:26:30 CET 2007

Mike Lykov wrote:
> I have a site with basic authentication which reply 401 code
> HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required
>
> but if site responded like this for my request i think it's live and i
> want to return OK status from the plugin.

Hi Mike,

I struggled with this for a while but ended using the following and it
works well.  Note the message returned in the 401 might vary based on
the webserver software.  I've included a couple of examples for Apache2
and Sun ONE 6.1.  I believe I used curl to determine the exact string
returned by the 401.

In commands.cfg:

# check Apache https website that requires a login
# returns message:  "HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required"
define command {
        command_name    check_apache_ssl_auth
        command_line    $USER1$/check_http -L -w 5 -c 10 -S -e "Authorization Required" -H $ARG1$ -f follow
}

# check Sun ONE webserver https website that requires a login
# returns message:  "HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized"
define command {
        command_name    check_sunone_ssl_auth
        command_line    $USER1$/check_http -L -w 5 -c 10 -S -e "Unauthorized" -H $ARG1$ -f follow
}

Then in services.cfg:

define service {
        host_name                       host.domain.com
        service_description             HTTPS:securesite.domain.com
        check_command			check_apache_ssl_auth!securesite.domain.com
}

I'm running a later version but I think the "-e" option was included in
previous versions:

$ check_http -V
check_http v1759 (nagios-plugins 1.4.10)

This should be a FAQ.
--
scot