[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ping timeout calculation

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Sat Jan 6 08:06:25 CET 2007

On 06/01/07 12:10 AM, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

> I committed the said patch, and have one more thing. The timeout help
> text in inaccurate, and the timeout parameter itself is useless. We
> should either:
>
> 1. Remove -t, leaving the code as a no-op to avoid breaking anything
> or
> 2. Fix the text. I didn't do it because I'm not sure if it'll break
> anything localization-related.
>
> Ton, do you think it make sense to just remove -t, leaving a comment like:
>
> "This check script has no timeout option. The actual timeout can be
> calculated as 'critical_threshold * packets'."
>
> That would be done without breaking backward compatibility, leaving -t
> as a no-op.

Reverted it. I think I messed up my debug printf and misunderstood that
part (and the base value of crta), and also didn't realized ping wait 1
sec between each probes (thus the "+ max_packets").

I still think the -t parameter is misleading, so my suggestion to change
it or remove it still stands (of course with the right formula).

Sorry for the spam,

Thomas