[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: Nagios 3 and Embedded Perl Plugins

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest Thomas at zango.com
Tue Jan 9 20:00:27 CET 2007

Sounds great. Just to make things clear my idea wasn't a NRPE replacement but rather an addition. For ex. you could have something like this (Lets't call my thing NRCE, Nag[...] Command Executor):

+---------+
| Nagios  |
+---------+

| NRCE    |

| NRPE    |

The NRCE host could be a monitored host as well and remote network checks could be either coming from Nagios itself or from another NRCE host.

It wouldn't require a full blown Nagios but your solution has the advantage of cascading checks. With that and by reducing the logic involved in the main Nagios process your solution is much more scalable.

Do you plan on having the "child" Nagios processes receive their config automatically from the main process? That would simplify a lot the setup.

Thomas