[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: Plugins config file (final proposal)

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Tue Jan 30 10:28:28 CET 2007

hey andreas,

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 10:03 +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> But it does fit with the Nagios config syntax.

well another option would be to make the file completely in nagios
config syntax, but that's not what had been proposed, and mish-mashing
them together just really stands out as a bad idea to me, anyway.

> If you use ini-style, you end up with the problem of "how do we do with
> subsections?" such as when one plugin wants one environment (check_oracle)
> and another plugin needs something else.

i believe that had already been at least partially addressed by the
specification.  namely, you could override the ini section name for a
particular plugin, or which file was parsed at all.

as for the syntax:

> Compare

<snip>

one benefit of using the ini format is that it's made more clear
where and how the configuration is used, as opposed to making it another
nagios config object style thing, which would be a little confusing since
it wouldn't/shouldn't be used by the nagios daemon.

but otherwise, i'm not really strongly advocating any particulars, as long
as it's consistant with itself (using one syntax completely, having a clear
definition of prefixing vs. subsectioning stuff like env variables)

> > furthermore, you example brought up an issue which will need to be
> > clarified... what's the specification for parsing quotes?
>
> Why use quotes? We're talking C/Perl here, aren't we?

i didn't say we needed to, i was just pointing out that it hadn't been specified,
and i felt that it would be a liability in the future not to do so--as the example
i was responding to there were quotes in one of the settings.

	sean