[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: Plugins config file (final proposal)

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Wed Jan 31 18:06:03 CET 2007

In message <F87B75AF-C60C-4DE4-BD8C-D9F07C933FDE at altinity.com>,
Ton Voon writes:
>STDIN SUPPORT
>
>John P Rouillard requests stdin support for passing data from Nagios'
>config files. I think support for stdin (--default-opts=-) should be
>fine on condition that the input file is not processed any
>differently. John, would you still like this functionality?

Yeah I think so. Even if Ethan doesn't like the concept of passing
things on stdin, it could be used to allow:

   def_options $HOSTNAME$ $SERVICEDESC$ | check_something --default_opts=- ...

where def_options pulls the data from a database or some other
mechanism (e.g. encrypted config file using gpg key agent etc).

I am also looking at using the def_options program to allow passing of
environment variables such as SSH_AUTH_SOCK that allows passwordless
ssh access using encrypted keys files.

Keep meaning to fix the shell exec mechanism in nagios plugin library
to allow the SSH auth variables through. Well that is for another
thread.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard