[Nagiosplug-devel] Plugin licensing

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Thu Jul 19 14:14:58 CEST 2007

On 19/07/07 04:47 AM, Ton Voon wrote:

> Sean's response was accurate, from my point of view, so I've stuck it
> on our website:
>
> http://nagiosplugins.org/index.php?
> option=com_easyfaq&task=view&id=12&Itemid=29&mosmsg=Changes+to+item
> +saved
>
> Any comments?

My POV is pretty much the same... I even roughly replied the same thing
(not looking at headers though) but forgot to send it! :(

> I was thinking that when I create a new C plugin, I usually copy an
> existing one and strip out everything except the getopt handling and
> the help stuff. Then the new bits are just the communication with the
> external system. However, under the definitions above, this would
> mean it is a derived work, so would have to be GPL'd.
>
> Then I was thinking, maybe we could provide a library with headers
> and have that under LGPL, but we use a lot of gnulib code (getopt
> handling, internationalisation) which is GPL'd, not LGPL'd, so our
> executable would have to be GPL'd.
>
> If you wanted to protect some intellectual property, you'd have to
> make a library which returned all the data you wanted, and then
> create a plugin which is GPL'd, but only uses the library API to get
> at the information.
>
> Alternatively, to make a plugin NOT under GPL, you'd have to write it
> from scratch without any external libraries which are GPL'd, which is
> certainly possible, though a bit more work.
>
> Remember, the aim of the Free Software Foundation is to make all
> software free.

I agree on this one and for that reason I wouldn't push for a LGPL
library and BSD or public-domain plugin template. I personally don't see
any benefit in giving out the tools to write proprietary Nagios plugins.

Thomas