[Nagiosplug-devel] nagios plugin to monitor Oracle Database XE

John Vincent nagiosplug-devel at lusis.org
Fri Jun 29 00:36:27 CEST 2007

Ellen Yang <hanjuan at ...> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to monitor my Oracle Database XE using Nagios. The limit on
> that is: 4GB of disk space for user data storage, 5GB for physical
> storage and 1GB of memory for SGA+PGA . Are there any Nagios plugins
> can monitor the disk space usage and memory usage for XE?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Ellen

Ellen,

I'm not aware of a plugin off the bat but I might provide some tips for writing
one yourself.

It's been a long time since I've even sat down in front of an oracle database
but I know that DB2 provides information on actually tablespace usage
depending on the tablespace type. Take a look at this:

http://dev.lusis.org/nagios/usable/monitoring_db2_with_nagios.html

It is DB2 specific but Oracle must provide some similar type of query
information of that nature. Indeed a quick google search came up with this:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_tablespace_script.htm

I'm sure more digging would find a compliment for the SGA+PGA. I'm not sure of
your role within the organization where the database is going but SAGE put out
an excellent book last year by Ben Rockwood:

http://www.sage.org/pubs/13_oracle/

It really gets into Oracle from the SA side of the house. If I had my copy at
hand I might be able to find the memory pool information.