[Nagiosplug-devel] Integrating Nagios::Plugininto the distribution

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Fri May 11 10:46:12 CEST 2007

On 10 May 2007, at 22:17, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:

> I'd personally compile it in the prefix directory by default, no
> matter
> what's in @INC. That would make a more consistent environment
> across the np
> user base which IMHO will help us in the long run.
>
> Ton, what's tour take on this?

Looking back across this thread, I think almost everyone agrees we
have to support installing N::P in a nagios dir for simple
installation (as Matthias points out), and for sites which do not
allow changes to system perl dirs (as John points out).

The only dissenting opinion is from Gavin, because of duplication of
N::P (local v system dirs) and making a deployment decision within
code (by using FindBin).

I'm not sure how to overcome the duplication, though a well managed
system will have one or the other. If we clearly say a plugin prefers
a local dir if it is there, that should make it clear which module is
being used.

The FindBin objection is hard to overcome too. Using PERL5LIB means
more work for the user, setting up in various places (nagios user's
profile on all monitored boxes, NRPE and Nagios start up scripts) - I
can envisage more support calls coming from this decision. I'm not
entirely convinced that using FindBin is that bad either - I think it
is equivalent to using LD_RUN_PATH, which some Solaris people use to
link to openssl (though admittedly, this is a decision they make at
compile time, not always in the code at execution time). I guess we
could have an option to strip out the "use lib" lines from the
plugins at make time - would that be sufficient?

I agree with Thomas that we always install N::P locally, though we
provide configure switches to turn off.

Is it fair to say we should proceed with the current plan?

BTW, I saw a link to http://search.cpan.org/~adamk/Module-
Install-0.65/lib/Module/Install/Bundle.pm which looks like it could
provide the answer to the nanocpan idea - we create a bundle called
Bundle::Nagios::Plugin which contains all the dependencies.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725