[Nagiosplug-devel] introducing a check_if_root for setuid plugins

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Fri May 25 08:25:41 CEST 2007

hey folks,

just a preliminary poll before i spend any time on the code.  in debian, we
ship the check_dhcp/check_icmp with the setuid bits disabled by default, in
the interest of losing a little functionality for some increased security.
we have a documented method for how one overrides the permissions supplied
by the package, but the problem is it's in the documentation, and sometimes
users have trouble finding their way to the documentation...

so i was thinking it might be helpful for each of these plugins to call a
check_if_root() function before actually trying to perform their duties,
and if it seems that they're not root, have them spit out either a warning or
an error message to be a little more informative.  what do you think?

	sean