[Nagiosplug-devel] [Nagiosplug-help] check_ntp

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Thu Nov 15 11:15:18 CET 2007

Hi!

Sorry, only just noticed this thread.

Good work on spotting this. I agree having separate plugins makes the
most sense.

I'm in favour of this plan with a few changes below.

On 12 Nov 2007, at 09:21, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> I'd suggest doing this:
> Keep check_ntp for now, but introduce check_ntp_peers (the current
> check_ntpd).
>
> Introduce check_ntp_local_offset, doing what check_time_ntp does
> (or is
> intended to do anyways).
>
> These two break nothing, so it can be done any time, really.

And:
   - add a deprecation note in check_ntp --help with preference to
check_ntp_time and check_ntp_peers
   - add a similar note in NEWS
   - include the sed one liners to suggest which new plugin to use
based on their syntax (this is very a good idea - I wonder if we
could have some perl script that, if you point var/objects.cache at
it, it will pull out recommended changes to plugins)
   - add a comment to http://nagiosplugins.org/plugins/check_ntp to
use these new plugins

So people will still have check_ntp, but we recommend and encourage
the use of the new plugins.

Thomas, can you merge your branch into trunk with this?

We can cut a 1.4.11 release as this should be out as soon as possible.

> 1.5:
> Make check_ntp_local_offset install as check_ntp_local_offset and
> check_ntp, while adding -j and -k to check_ntp_local_offset, but
> silently ignoring them.
>
> 1.6:
> Make check_ntp_local_offset give a warning when it gets -j or -k,
> and deprecate check_ntp (with a warning if it's called with that
> name).
>
> 1.7:
> Remove check_ntp.

I'd probably be a bit more aggressive and say in 1.5, check_ntp just
returns CRITICAL with "obsolete - use check_ntp_time and
check_ntp_peers instead" since everything is in place for a
conversion already, but if you all think a more conservative approach
is better, we can do it this way.

Let's make a decision on this - I need to get a roadmap published and
this can be added.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243