[Nagiosplug-devel] Further development of nsclient.

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 00:33:28 CEST 2007

Thanks Ton,
for the detailed information,

I have been swamped this week, but I will be reviewing this again when I get
a chance,

As for the Check_nt/ Check_nc_net  I want to get my contributions merged
into the Nagios plugins, and I would be willing to do what I can to help
with this endevor.  Naturally I agree with oyu, in the fact that no one
wants to see a plugin updated frequenly,  my goal is for check_nt to be
stable and versitile.

Naturally the check_nc_net client is in C.( NC _Net is Dot Net C#.
Opservices should be in visual pascal/Delphi if it is from the original
nsclient. otherwise it really could not claim any more authentisity than
NC_Net or NSCLient++; but really the languages do not matter as you pointed
out already.

There are a few upgrades that I really want added into the check_nt.c core.
(I have them in check_nc_net)
1) better Help system  - naturally with the common availible commands.
2) a flag to overcome the buffer limits, and outputs to consol (STDOUT)
great for enumeration and other potential usages of nc_net.
3) A Stub command that would be able to send input string directly to the
Windows Client then just output the result.
this command would basically bypass the pre and post processing that
check_nt does, but it would allow for expansion of check_nt for other (yet
to be created projects)  where check_nt could just be put into a wrapper
sctipt to run new commands.

These three upgrades together I hope would eliminate the neccessity for many
third party apps to frequently request upgrades to check_nt.   the 2 biggest
Limitations I saw wirth the original check_nt were the Hardcoded commands
offerered no expantion, and small buffer prevents usage of enumeration
commands.

I hope to hear from OpServices and any other parties that want to be
involved in this soon,

Tony (Author of NC_NEt)