[Nagiosplug-devel] Plugins OS X 10.4 build on 10.5

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Wed Apr 2 22:28:05 CEST 2008

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.2 on my development machine, but I need to
build a copy of the check_ping plugin to deploy to a machine running
10.4. Unfortunately, a plugin (or, at least, that plugin) built under
10.5 will not run under 10.4, simply giving a "bus error" when
attempting to run. I got around this problem in the past (when
building other things) by giving the "-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.4u.sdk" flag to gcc, but when I try that with the nagios
plugins package, I get the following errors (on running make):

gcc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -o check_apt check_apt.o
utils.o runcmd.o  -L/Users/israel/Downloads/nagios-plugins-1.4.11/
plugins ../lib/libnagiosplug.a ../gl/libgnu.a
Undefined symbols:
   "_getrlimit$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       _np_runcmd_open in runcmd.o
   "_kill$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       _popen_timeout_alarm_handler in runcmd.o
   "_read$UNIX2003", referenced from:

There are several more lines similar to those above. Configure was run
as CFLAGS="-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk" ./configure, and
completed with no problem, as does the entire build process without
the -isysroot flag. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, and how
to make this work? Thanks!
Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.