[Nagiosplug-devel] RFC: New threshold syntax

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Thu Apr 3 02:01:37 CEST 2008

Hi!

Great thread!

I've updated the RFC with the main points from this discussion. I've
chosen the format of the range as start..end - this looks to be the
most popular choice.

I agree that the range definition should be definable without quoting
if possible, but I also think we need negation and explicit inclusion/
exclusion, so I've added in a "complex range" definition, which does
require quoting. It uses the mathematical symbols of () for exclusion,
[] for inclusion and the programming symbol of ! for negation.
However, I think most uses of the new thresholds will just be via the
simple method. The complex range doesn't need to be implemented
immediately.

Also, I've stated that you can have non-continuous ranges by
specifying ok,warn or critical again - this doesn't need to be
implemented straight away either.

I think the rules to calculate the state of the threshold is important
to publish - I'm sure someone will let me know if the logic is missing
something.

The only thing I don't like is that uom is in a different subgetopt -
I think it reads better to be after the end value (I think Nathan's
principle of optimising for read, rather than write, is a good
principle).

http://nagiosplugins.org/rfc/new_threshold_syntax

Next set of comments?

Ton