[Nagiosplug-devel] New threshold syntax (New thread)

Vonnahme, Nathan nathan.vonnahme at bannerhealth.com
Fri Apr 11 19:53:27 CEST 2008

That is not as concise as
  --certificate=ok=28..inf,warn=14..28

But I guess it will be necessary in most cases and will simplify
backwards compatibility.  It is still easy to read.

> Issue #2:
>
> The specs should clearly state what uom is and also add uom_prefix
> (or
> just prefix if it's preferred). The current meaning of uom should
> actually be uom_prefix. Both would be optionnal.

The SI units lists seems adequate, though probably it would be good to
have a shorter list in the plugin documentation, since we don't need
most of the physics units.

I think the number of bits and abbreviation of binary units (gigabyte
etc) should agree with `df -h` and `ls -lh` and other utilities.  NIST
is defining KB, MB, and GB differently from how they are usually used in
practice on most OSes, and I think that would confuse users, because
they'll be comparing plugin results with the results from those tools.

I'm also guessing that beyond recommending a syntax and a list of valid
uom values, the threshold parsing library we're talking about won't do
much with the units, but it would be left to each plugin.  A widget
assembly line plugin might need a weird unit of measure like "thousands
of widgets per hour" or KWpH :)