[Nagiosplug-devel] check_apt feature request: No Warning on Non-Security upgrades

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 17 17:02:00 CEST 2008

Hi,

   I'm using check_apt v1590 (nagios-plugins 1.4.11) and I'd like to
make a feature request to not go in to a warning state when there are
non-critical package upgrades available.

I tend to only patch on security updates, otherwise you just end up
upgrading lots of servers all the time unnecessarily.

Perhaps this could be implemented as a switch to enable/disable warning
on non critical package updates? I did a similar thing for my
check_gentoo_portage check, which seems to make sense, as this way the
administrator can choose which he/she prefers depending on the situation.

Personally, I don't see the point in having a warning state if the
package is not a security risk and there is no new feature you require,
it just increases admin workload and the chances of a breakage or
incompatibility with the older config.

I just don't want to have permanent warnings in nagios until I upgrade
packages just for the sake of it.

Perhaps somebody has already made this obvious request or it's
implemented in a more recent version or in the svn copy or something?
Seems so obvious I surely can't be the first to ask...?

Thanks

-h

--
Hari Sekhon