[Nagiosplug-devel] Gnulib alternative?

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Fri Aug 22 17:58:33 CEST 2008

Andreas,

On 22 Aug 2008, at 16:34, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Forgetting about portability is obviously not an option (although I
> love coding for a system where I know I have gcc-4.1 and glibc-2.8
> available everywhere), but adding a library of 1.7MB to 788KB of
> plugin code (not including tests) is just plain weird.

Respectfully disagree. If you want to play with the numbers, then
moving 1.7MB out (which we don't maintain) to 100KB in (that we will
have to), doesn't smack to me of a good decision (btw, fancy writing a
regexp library?)

It's not about lines of code - the priority is quality.

> Then why is [libtap] needed? If it's just for tinderbox builds, why
> not install
> it on the various tinderboxen? If it's not for tinderbox builds, why
> ship
> it at all? If someone needs to test libtap functionality they can
> jolly
> well install libtap imo.

That's a fair point. My argument is that I want to reduce the barrier
to running tests, not increase them. If you contributed a server to
tinderbox for testing, I might even agree with you :P

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
UK: +44 (0)870 787 9243
US: +1 866 879 9184