[Nagiosplug-devel] Libtap included in distribution

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Mon Aug 25 07:19:20 CEST 2008

On 22/08/08 06:56 PM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
>>
>> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> |
>> | I do. If most of it isn't getting used, then get rid of it and import the
>> | parts that *are* getting used. It's quite possible that the nagiosplugins
>> | gets used on more platforms than gnulib, in which case you'll have to ship
>> | patches upstream every now and then.
>>
>> I'd doubt it. Gnulib is used very widely, and certainly support more
>> architectures than we do.
>>

> Quite so, but the nagiosplug project gets installed on all unixy flavours
> in networks where someone's running Nagios. Personally, I've helped
> install it on more variants of unix than I even knew existed, and at
> least 3 major-versions of each variant. gnulib was not much of an option
> there, to be honest.

If you managed to compile Nagios-plugins on all those architecture it's
*very* likely because there's a bunch of Gnulib modules included in
Nagios-plugins. It's not something that you're expected to install
beforehand (you can't even compile it alone), it's something that fills
in missing C functions that are standard in most recent systems (plus
some added functionality that we use in some plugins). That's why it's
bundled with Nagios-plugins, and also why we include more modules than
we need on our own development systems.

>> | If there are bugs in gnulib, you'll have no part of it if it's not part of
>> | the stuff you imported (which, by the sound of it, is unlikely).
>>
>> What do you mean??
>>

> I mean "remove the unused sourcecode from the repository". Right now there's
> quite a lot of it, as stated before.

I agree with you, we could map out all functions used in Nagios-plugins
and remove Gnulib modules (if any) that implement functions we don't
use. IIRC I cleaned up the most obvious ones in my last sync, but unless
you can give me some automated tools and/or nifty oneliners that can
make this a 10-minute job, it's likely that I'll rather work on actual
bugfixes and code enhancements that on cleaning up Gnulib modules - at
least for the foreseeable future.

If you have that little extra time to clean it up your contribution will
be more than welcome ;)

- --
Thomas