[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ping resolving error

Yaron Meiry yaronm at teleweb.co.il
Wed Dec 10 10:22:45 CET 2008

Hey

I'm using the Nagios check_ping utility version v1810 (nagios-plugins
1.4.11) and I think I have a DNS resolution problem.
check_ping can't resolve a host correctly and reports a network problem.
This is the default command line:
*[root at machine libexec]# ./check_ping -H domain.tld -w 3000.0,80% -c
5000.0,100% -p 5
CRITICAL - Network Unreachable (domain.tld)
*
However, there is no apparent resolving problem:
*[root at machine libexec]# host domain.tld <http://intersphere.info>
domain.tld <http://intersphere.info> has address
xx.xx.xxx.12<http://69.46.229.12>
domain.tld <http://intersphere.info> has IPv6 address
::ffff:xx.xx.xxx.12<http://69.46.229.12>
domain.tld <http://intersphere.info> mail is handled by 10
mx1.emailservice.com <http://mx1.emailsrvr.com>.
domain.tld <http://intersphere.info> mail is handled by 20
mx2.emailservice.com <http://mx2.emailsrvr.com>.*

I've read the help for check_ping, and it states:
*This plugin uses the ping command to probe the specified host for packet
loss
(percentage) and round trip average (milliseconds). It can produce HTML
output
linking to a traceroute CGI contributed by Ian Cass. The CGI can be found in
the contrib area of the downloads section at http://www.nagios.org/*

However, the ping command itself doesn't seem to have any problems
(resolving, reaching):
*[root at machine libexec]# ping -c 1 domain.tld
PING domain.tld <http://intersphere.info> (xx.xx.xxx.12<http://69.46.229.12>)
56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ptr.hostingcompany.com <http://dndc-web2.dndchosting.com> (
xx.xx.xxx.12 <http://69.46.229.12>): icmp_seq=1 ttl=52 time=57.0 ms

--- domain.tld <http://intersphere.info> ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 57.074/57.074/57.074/0.000 ms*

Ping version:
*[root at machine ~]# ping -V
ping utility, iputils-ss020927*

Is there anything I'm missing?
This problem occurs with only one specific host out of rather large number,
so I'm really at a loss with conclusions on this.

Thanks,
Yaron.