[Nagiosplug-devel] Plugin to monitor abnormal traffic behavior

chiel chiel at gmx.net
Tue Feb 5 02:59:47 CET 2008

Hello,

The bandwidth of some of our routers is pretty the same every day at a specific time. Max in is about 1.2 Gb and min 40 Mb.
I want to monitor any strange behavior in this traffic. But with normal interface plugins that monitor traffic you can only set one max (and sometimes min). With those scripts we can't monitor if bandwidth is higher for example 90Mb where it's normally 40Mb at a particular time.

I don't know if there is a plugin already availible for this (I have searched nagiosexchange)? And I'm not such a great coder myself, so maybe someone can help me?
I think this can be done with using a table where it stores the traffic output of the last 24 hours. It can then check the current traffic with the one it monitored 24 hours ago.

Maybe you can set warning and critical in % for example "-w 5 -c 10" to use 5% and 10% difference in traffic.

What do you think of this?

chiel