[Nagiosplug-devel] Feature request: extend check_ping to specify source address

Matthias Eble PsychoTrahe at gmx.de
Thu Jul 17 09:25:09 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 09:48 +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> to specify the source address on the executed "ping"
> command (*BSD: -S, Linux: -I) to be able to monitor a host on the
> other
> end of a VPN.  I sent the outline of a patch to the FreeBSD ports
> people,
> and they referred me here instead (whilst commenting it was a good
> idea).
>
> Is this planned to be introduced at all?

Hi Dave,
this feature is already provided by check_icmp.
The only drawback of check_icmp is that it needs super user privileges
(set uid root or sudo).

As you already mentioned, there are differences between the ping
syntaxes that need to be discovered (rather assumed). I'd thus suggest
not to add more ping_command detection steps to configure.in since we
already have many of them.

Matthias